Frequently Asked Questions

Filing Services

How do I get a divorce?

  • If you're filing an uncontested divorce with no children, South Carolina Court Administration has a packet on their website: Once you log on to the website, click on "Self-Represented Litigant."

Custody? Legal Separation? An Annulment?

  • You will need to contact an attorney for issues concerning a contested divorce, custody, annulment or legal separation. We suggest that you check your local telephone directory for an attorney that does Family Law.

I'm not being allowed visitation as the judge ordered. What can I do?

  • If you have specific dates/times in a court order, please come into our office and request the "Contempt of Visitation" forms. This form can also be obtained from the website:


Child Support Matters

How do I get child support?

  • We have the DSS/Child Support Enforcement application in our office or you may contact an attorney to file on your behalf.

What can I do if I am not receiving child support after it is ordered through the court?

  • We have caseworkers available to discuss your case in person. You may contact our office for payment verification every Friday, between 3:00-5:00pm. We cannot fax payment verification.
  • Non-Custodial Parent A-L: Please call F. Roach at 255-5668.
  • Non-Custodial Parent M-Z: Please call F. Ginn at 255-5666.

How and where do I make my payments?

  • Payments can be made by cash, money order, cashier's check or payroll deduction. Payments can be made in person at the Family Court Office from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00p.m. Payments can also be mailed to P.O. Box 1124, Beaufort, SC 29901

Can I begin paying immediately after ordered to pay support?

  • Our office can only accept payments after the order has been filed with the court. However, your balance will accrue effective the beginning date of your order.

What will happen if my payments are late?

  • The clerk may issue a Rule to Show Cause for failure to comply with the court order. You will have to appear before a Family Court Judge to explain your delinquency.

How can I get my payments reduced?

  • You may contact your attorney to file for a reduction or could log on to the website: and file a "Support Reduction Complaint" packet. If you have additional questions, please contact our office.


Child Support Payments

How can I find out if a payment has been made?

  • You may come into our office at the payment window or you may contact our automated info line at (843)525-7686. This line is available (24hrs/Day).

Can I pick up my check?

  • No, all payments must be mailed.

Does your office accept credit cards or personal checks?

  • No.

When will I receive my payments?

  • After a payment is posted, the payment to the custodial parent is mailed the next business day.

How do I change my address and/or name?

  • You can come into the office and fill out a form at the payment window or mail the information to our office. You must include a photo ID with your address change.

Wage Withholding

How can I request wage withholding?

  • You may come by our office to fill out a garnishment request. We also accept phone calls from either party or the employer with needed information, or send the employer information to us in writing. Please include a contact phone number for us to reach you.

Will my wage withholding start immediately?

  • Most employers take between 3 and 4 weeks to start the process. You need to check your paycheck stub to see if it has been garnished. If not, it is your responsibility to make your payments at our office until it is deducted from your wages.

I am ordered to pay weekly payments and my company pays me monthly. Will this be a problem?

  • No, the employers are informed that they may send the payments in as you are paid. However, they are required to mail the payment to Family Court within 10 days after it is withheld from your check.

I have changed jobs. Will your office send a new request automatically?

  • No, you can either come into our office to give us the new employer information, mail it to us or contact us at (843)255-5661.

I receive payments from someone on wage garnishment and the payment is late. What can I do about this?

  • Do not contact the employer yourself. You must contact Peggy at our office at (843)255-5661, and we will contact the employer or research the information for you, if needed.