General Municipal Solid Waste

Facts about Municipal Solid Waste

Municipal Solid Waste (MSW)
More commonly known as trash or garbage - consists of everyday items we use and then throw away. MSW, by law, must go to a lined landfill or a Class III Landfill. The current landfill used by Beaufort County for MSW disposal is Hickory Hill, located in Jasper County. Beaufort County does not have a Class III landfill.

MSW is taken at all County Convenience Centers. New residents should check our New Residents Information page for curbside options in their community.

Bulky Items such as furniture, toys and miscellaneous bulky items taken to Convenience Centers should be placed into the bulky container. Ask the center attendant if you have any questions.

Yard Waste

Yard Waste is taken at all County Convenience Centers in small amounts. Small amounts are considered to be a pickup or a 5' x 8' ft trailer load. If your yard branches or limbs are greater than 6 inches in diameter and eight feet in length or you have larger quantities of yard waste please use the landfill below:

Oakwood Landfill - 726 Strobhart Way, Ridgeland, SC 29936 (843) 726-2100.  

Construction & Demolition Debris

Construction and demolition (C&D) materials consist of the debris generated during the renovation of your home. C&D includes: lumber scraps, sheet rock, shingles, wall board, plaster, cabinets, or carpet. Convenience Centers have limited capacity, so residents with larger amounts of debris are required to take them to the landfill referenced above. 

C&D is accepted at all County Convenience Centers (note limits).

Residents may also take C&D Debris to the Oakwood Landfill (listed above).

Commercial Waste

Commercial solid waste is defined as any solid waste generated by industrial, commercial, or business activities.  The business is responsible for transport and disposal fees. The use of any Beaufort County Convenience Center for the disposal of commercially generated solid waste is strictly forbidden by Beaufort County Ordinance. For further information regarding driving commercial vehicles at County Convenience Centers please see Section 62-30 of the Beaufort County Code of Ordinances. 

Left over latex paint

If you cannot reuse your latex paint, you may dry it and discard at a convenience center. Small amounts of leftover latex paint can be  air dried away from children and pets. One method is to pour latex paint into a paper box or bag, and add adsorbent material such as shredded newspaper and cat box filler to speed drying. Recycle the empty can, then throw the dried paint away with your normal trash.  Larger amounts up to 10 gallons may be brought to the nearest convenience center.